A sure shot for any festive look? The classic red lips, perfect with a fresh complexion and a subtly accentuated eye. Here are our best tips to nail this fiery trend, whatever version you prefer!
Golden rules for red lips
- Pick the right shade. If your complexion is colder (so if you have bluish veins on your wrists), pick colors that contain a touch of pink or purple: raspberry, wine-red, carmine, etc. If you have a warmer complexion (in that case, your veins will be greenish), you’re better off with orangey hues like brick red or burgundy.
- Pamper your lips. Make sure to treat them with utmost care to keep them soft and moisturized at all times. Exfoliate them with a gentle scrub a few times a week and apply a nourishing balm as often as you want – particularly before going to bed.
- Get a good lipliner that fits with your shade of red: it’s essential for an even Trace the contour of your lips from edges to center, then colour the whole surface if you want: you’ll get an extra-long hold, as you would with a makeup primer – especially if you pick a waterproof formula!
Good to know
To give the impression that our lips are plumper, you can draw the line just outside the edges (not too far, of course!).
Three textures of red
Which finish should you choose? It all depends on your taste and on the style you’re looking for!
- Get a glossy effect with a liquid or creamy lipstick with a shiny or translucent finish. It makes the lips look plumper and adds an extra touch of light to your look (you must therefore make sure not to add too much highlighter on your cheeks for the complexion part!).
- Get a matte effect with an opaque and ultra-pigmented formula. As this type of lipstick may make your lips dryer, it’s very important to moisturize them before (and after!) wearing it.
- Get a tinted (or “stained”) effect by dabbing a small amount of colour on your lips with your finger. The result will be subtle and natural, as if you had gently bitten your lips.