Finding your signature fragrance, one that really gives you a distinctive wake, is something that takes patience. Here are a few tips to make the process easier.
Received perfume as a gift?
To test it, spray a tiny cloud on your wrist and wait a few moments to let the notes develop. Not convinced? Wait another 20 minutes or so before smelling it again. If the scent doesn't capture your heart, give it one last chance: try the fragrance another day, preferably in the morning, when your nose is at its most receptive.
Been wearing the same perfume for ages?
It's great to be faithful to a scent, but it's even better to break your olfactory routine with a second or even third fragrance. Ideally, you'd build a 'wardrobe' of complementary fragrances that change like the seasons, adapting to how you're feeling and what you're doing... just like clothes and accessories!
OK, great. But how do you choose the right fragrances? One good place to start is by identifying the notes in your favourite perfume. Once you've done that, you could look for fragrances that have variations on the same theme. For example, if you like fruity blends, you could choose a fragrance that's light and bubbly, with notes of orange or grapefruit for the office. Then, for weekends out, try a more luscious nectar orchestrated around notes of pear and amber.
Do you perfume your neck?
It's not necessarily wrong. But, to help the scent diffuse more efficiently, you should apply it to your pulse points, the areas where you can feel your heart beating: the tops of your ears, the indentation at the base of your neck, your wrists (but don't rub them together!), elbows, ankles and behind your knees. These areas are heated by the flow of blood so they amplify your fragrance leaving its perfect scent in your wake.
How much should you use? For eau de toilette, you can perfume up to 8 pulse points, depending on the intensity of the fragrance. For eau de parfum, choose 6 to 8 points. And for perfume, 2 to 3 points should be enough. For very intense fragrances, you can also create a little cloud or puff of fragrance and walk through it slowly so it has time to settle on your clothes and skin.
Are you wearing too much perfume?
There's an easy way to tell if you've gone overboard with your fragrance. Imagine a circle around yourself, about as wide as an arm's length on all sides. If someone beyond that imaginary circle can smell your perfume, you've used too much. Your signature scent should be kept for your closest encounters.
A few new fragrances for her…
- With its accords of black currant, rose and jasmine absolute, backed by vanilla and cedar, Sí Passione by Giorgio Armani offers a modern ode to the spirit of audacity. It's the ideal fragrance for women with character, hungry for freedom and independence.
- Sparkling notes of fresh fruit, delicate flowers and deep, woodsy accords... Stories by DKNY exudes the same vibrant energy and delirious freedom you feel on the streets of its namesake city. For ambitious women, ready to write their own histories.
- CK Women by Calvin Klein celebrates feminine strength and beauty in its many, complex forms. The freshness of eucalyptus nuts is blended with the sweetness of orange blossoms and rich Alaskan cedar to create a uniquely balanced accord between spontaneity and sensuality.
…and for him
- Infused with marine and exotic, woodsy notes, Acqua di Giò Absolu by Giorgio Armani offers an odyssey into the heart of all that's masculine, combining wisdom, elegance and sensuality. Warm amber and musk add to this rich, balanced composition, creating a naturally chic, unfettered fragrance.
- Y by Yves Saint Laurent is an eau de parfum for the creative, accomplished man who's never afraid to venture off the beaten path. The foundation of this audacious fragrance is sage and geranium, artfully enhanced with woody notes and Tonka bean.
- The ideal choice for the active man, driven by adrenaline. The explosive freshness of Polo Red Rush by Ralph Lauren is born of red mandarin, fresh mint and cedar for a guaranteed boost of energy!
- Mint, pineapple and sandalwood take on a green tint with Boss Bottled Unlimited from Hugo Boss: as distinctive as the ultra-confident men who wear it, ever-ready to push themselves to the limits in search of success.