With the return of the accentuated and black-fringed look, made popular by the model Twiggy in the 60s, false eyelashes have become the choice trendy accessory. They aren't only for special occasions anymore: we enjoy their touch of glamour every day! But how do you choose false eyelashes, and especially how do you apply them? Here's everything you need to know.
Which false lashes should you go for?
There are several types of false eyelashes, and some are more noticeable than others. To begin with, you need to determine the effect that you’re going for: discreet, glamorous, or original. If you want a more natural look, opt for a pair of eyelashes that are not too long, and which follow the natural curve of your own lashes. If you’re going for a more sophisticated look, choose longer eyelashes that are thick and bevelled. These kinds of falsies are perfect for pairing with smokey eye makeup or if you want to make your eyes look bigger. Lastly, for an original look, opt for a pair of lashes bedecked with glitter, feathers or diamonds!
Apply your false lashes in five easy steps:
- Use an eyelash curler to curl your natural eyelashes. Do not apply mascara! It wouldn’t mix well with the glue.
- Use a pair of tweezers to remove the false eyelashes from their support, then trim them to the desired length. Use a good pair of scissors and be gentle, this is a delicate operation!
- Use a cotton swab to apply the glue to the lash strip.
- Using the tweezers, stick the false eyelashes as close as possible to your natural eyelashes as you can get, starting in the middle of your eye. Then lay the strip on the inner half of your upper lashline, then the outer half.
- You can see a gap between your false eyelashes and your lash line? Don’t panic! With the help of an eye pencil or dark eyeliner, draw a line along the root of your eyelashes to cover it up.
HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT MAGNETIC FALSE EYELASHES?
These new arrivals are becoming more and more popular. And for good reason: offered in a variety of models, they are perfect for both evening makeup as well as more conservative everyday makeup. The best part: they are reusable, therefore environmentally friendly – and economical! Intrigued? These few tips will allow you to apply them like a pro the very first time:
- Apply mascara to your eyelashes first and let it dry. This will form a "base," which will support the false eyelashes during the application.
- Position the upper false eyelashes, as identified in the box, along the edge of the upper lashes. Make sure you have bent them in the shape of your eye.
- By allowing the top layer to rest on the lashes covered with mascara, position the bottom layer underneath and press lightly. Magnetized, the two layers will stick naturally to each other. That's it!