With the right self-tanner, getting a natural sun-kissed glow is easy! Follow our tips and learn how to rock that glow long after summer’s gone.
Many self-tanners (including gradual ones) act like moisturizing creams and can be applied a few times a week. DHA and erythrulose concentrations vary from one product to the next and are what determine the intensity of your tan. The following tips apply to those who use self-tanners with a high concentration of DHA and erythrulose (3% to 5%), as they’re the products that tend to cause streaks and discolouration.
1. The first step is to wax. Remove hair from the areas you’ll be applying the self-tanner—it’ll help your skin absorb the product better.
2. Next, exfoliate your entire body, making sure to focus on extra dry areas like your elbows and knees (dry skin tends to absorb more product, which leads to spotting and an uneven tan). After showering, dry off completely then apply a light moisturizer from head to toe (avoid heavy creams as they prevent the self-tanner from sticking to your skin).
3. Choose the formula that’s right for you. If you have dry skin, opt for a lotion or cream. Gels, mousses and sprays work best on oily skin. Also, remember that some self-tanners are specially formulated for the face, while others are designed for the body. If your skin is normal, you can choose a tanner that works equally well on both the face and body.
4. Using a circular motion, apply the self-tanner to your legs, torso and arms. Seeing as the back is hard to reach, use a spray tanner (make sure it’s of the same concentration) or better yet, ask a friend to help!
5. Use a kabuki brush (like the one you use to apply bronzing powder to your face) to apply the right amount of self-tanner to your hands and feet.
6. Using a damp cloth, gently pat the self-tanner around your ankles, wrists, elbows and knees.
7. When applying to your face, avoid getting too close to your hairline and eyebrows. And don’t forget to apply a small amount to your neck and ears!
8. Let the product set for four hours. During that time, avoid contact with water and activities that might cause you to sweat.
A moisturizing, self-tanning spray for perfectly even tan.
Hawaiian Tropic Aloha Glow sunless tanning mousse is crafted with your inner and outer beauty in mind. This self tanning mouse pampers your skin while you tan, with an ultra-light formula, containing aloe and vitamin E, that hydrates your skin. Infused with a tropical scent that transports you to the islands, our trusted cruelty-free products emboy the Hawaiian way of life and strive to create a better world and a better you.