Mists, sprays, beauty water… they’ve got a few different names but whatever they’re called, they’re more popular than ever. What exactly are they? And what role should they play in our beauty routines? Let’s take a look…
VARIETY IN A CONVENIENT SPRAY BOTTLE
Misters have been used in Asia for some time now, both by women and by men, and it’s easy to see why: a few quick spritzes is all it takes. And they come in a wide variety of formats, fragrances and uses.
ADD A LITTLE MIST TO YOUR ROUTINE
With their ultra-versatile formulas that penetrate the skin instantly, beauty mists are perfect for complementing (and maximizing) the action of your other skincare and beauty products.
- Morning and evening, between your cleansers and your creams. Remember: well-hydrated skin absorbs moisturizers better and retains water longer.
- During the day, when your skin is tight or your complexion needs a little pick-me-up. Don’t forget to slip a travel-sized bottle in your handbag.
An offshoot of Asian cosmetics, which tend towards gentle, natural formulas, beauty mists often contain…
- Organic moisturizers, naturally present in your skin, like sugars, amino acids and peptides.
- Regenerating active ingredients, that offer virtually immediate plumping—collagen extracts, hyaluronic acid, etc.
- Plant extracts with soothing, nourishing or toning properties, like polyphenols, rose water, witch hazel water, argan and citrus, among just a few.
Thermal-water sprays: your allies all day, every day
Rich in minerals and trace elements, these pure waters are drawn from mountain springs, and they’re often the first ones to find their way into our beauty kits. Their benefits are well known and highly appreciated: they moisturize and soothe and they’re ideal for any type of skin. They’re also a great way to freshen up after a workout, to give our complexion a quick boost at work, to calm irritated skin or for quick relief from a sunburn.
In terms of application, there are number of choices. You can spray the mist directly onto your skin by holding the bottle about 20 cm from your face–it’s the ideal distance to get total coverage. Or, for more targeted use, you can soak a cotton ball in it and dab it onto a specific area, like a minor imperfection, blemish, nick or scrape.
Skincare mists: complements to cleansing
Use these mists after cleansing your face to benefit from their triple action:
- They moisturize skin that has been damaged by exterior forces, replenishing its stores of water and minerals. As a result, skin regains its suppleness, softness and radiance.
- They tone and tighten pores, minimizing imperfections and signs of fatigue. They also add colour to your complexion by stimulating micro-circulation. They’re perfect for adding a quick boost of radiance when you jump out of bed or during your lunch break at work.
- They detoxify: they rid toxins from your skin cells, combat free radicals and strengthen your skin's natural defenses against aggression (pollution, blue light, harsh weather, etc.).
Setting or fixing mists: a little extra before (and after!) makeup
Parched skin soaks up makeup. So always apply your makeup to well-hydrated and properly nourished skin. A few quick sprays before you apply your makeup will add the boost you need to prepare your skin properly. Mist liberally throughout the day to keep your skin from tightening or to prevent your makeup from fading. Several setting mists also serve as finishing layers by covering your face with a light film that keeps the makeup in place, preventing it from losing its radiance over time.
Good to know
- Beauty mists aren’t just for your skin. You can also use them on your hair to add moisture, shine and, as an added bonus, fragrance!
- Having a heat wave? Leave your spray in the fridge for a few hours for a more refreshing treatment.