Burgundy, plum, glossy blood red, highly-pigmented neons in purple and orange hues: this season, we go for dark shades on our lips and we follow these useful application tips!
Tips for flawless application
On dark lips, application mistakes can be more visible. For impeccable results, be sure to closely follow these steps:
- It is essential to exfoliate your lips before applying lipstick to remove dead skin and ensure you have a smooth surface to work with.
Tip: Out of exfoliant? Go to the pantry! A small amount of sugar gently rubbed on the lips is enough to scrub away impurities.
- Next, apply a lip base to help your lipstick last much longer.
- Use a lip liner in the same shade as your lipstick to carefully outline your lips. To maximize your colour’s hold, be sure to also apply the liner on the surface of your lips.
- Apply the first coat of lipstick with care, then shade it in so that only the pigments are left behind. Next, apply a second coat for a more opaque effect and long-lasting hold.
- Finish with the lip liner to touch up the contour of your lips for maximum definition.
- You can also add a long-lasting finishing powder that will keep the lipstick from fading.
Choose from these colour ranges
Tip: Can’t decide between several dark shades? Check the veins on your wrists! If they are greenish, warm hues such as burgundy or reddish orange will most likely suit you. If they are bluish, go for purple or plum.
Burgundy has been very trendy in recent years.Elegant and versatile, it goes from office to cocktails, and adds a touch of glamour to evenings out. Pair it with understated makeup to avoid overload and highlight the lips. On porcelain skins, the effect is striking!
This year, we dare to be flashy!We love flame red, fuchsia or violet lips. These highly pigmented colours are true antidotes to gloom.
Emporio Armani, Tanya Taylor, Giambattista Valli: several designers showcased laquered lipsticks on their catwalks recently. Their shade of choice? Blood red! Deep, sensual and luminous, this shade offers a modern variation on the theme of the femme fatale.
Get your velvet and choker : it's time to go Gothic with a plum mouth! Easier to wear than black, but just as daring, this sophisticated colour is particularly suited for darker skins.