Women with fine flat hair often resort to backcombing their mane before tying it up in a bun in a desperate effort to add a little volume. But the natural and casual style of these must-have bohemian waves may be the Holy Grail for women who have always dreamed of bouncy and bodacious locks!
Wave hello to fabulous waves!
Although recommended for tired hair, natural waves can have a spectacular effect on thicker hair! And because nothing is impossible, even frizzy hair can be transformed into soft, easy curls…as long as you’re prepared to invest a little time and effort. It should also be said that length is not a prerequisite to make this look work for you. Mid-length hair looks just as awesome with delicate waves.
Get your iron on!
We recommend a tool that has stood the test of time, one by which many women swear: the curling iron! Here’s how:
- Start by shampooing your hair, then use a volumizing conditioner that won’t weigh your hair down, ideally one that’s silicone free.
- Towel-dry hair, then apply a leave-in conditioner to match your hair type.
- Blow dry hair with your dryer set to the highest setting, tipping your head forward to add more volume. Then, using a combination of hair dryer and a round brush, go section by section.
- Using a curling iron that’s about 2.5 cm (1 in.) thick, curl hair section by section. However, make sure to twist the hair before winding each section of it around the iron so that the curls look more natural. It’s also worth noting that curling irons that don’t have a clamp make for smoother, crease-free curls and don’t pull hair.
- Run a wide-tooth comb (or your fingers) through your hair to loosen up curls for a more casual look.
- Spray all over with a non-sticky hairspray with extra hold and…ta-dah! Perfect curls, every time.
Psst! Salt-based products that are great for getting that mussed-up-hair look are popping up everywhere. These haircare products are perfect for adding texture and getting beach hair, without leaving you looking like you’ve let a tsunami loose on your head!
Products that caught our eye
- Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse by TRESemmé
- Extra Firm Hold Hairspray by Personnelle
- Revitalizing and sulphate-free Pure Renewal shampoo by Aveeno
- You Curl Wand by Conair
- Ceramic curling iron (31 mm) by STYLISS